Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Stooges – The Weirdness


I was very hesitant about picking up this reunion CD of the Stooges (with Mike Watt sitting in on bass). In fact, I passed it up more than once even at the library, where I eventually borrowed it from. Reunions rarely work out and generally leave everyone involved disappointed.

Unfortunately, the CD is no exception. As I said, I did not have high hopes as I put this on, so maybe I‘m not really giving this a fair chance. Though, I really did hope that I would have been pleasantly surprised.

But, this simply sounds like another so-so recent Iggy solo album. I have nothing but respect for these cats, but the songs just aren’t there for me. None of the madness, chaos and over-the-top mania that defined the original Stooges comes through at all. Everyone plays well, but there is no real edge here. Scott still pounds the drums like a powerhouse, but Ron’s guitar is practically subdued, which is not what the Stooges should be in any way, shape or form! You do get a little blast of his old sound in “Greedy Awful People”, but this short solo is what the whole record should sound like!

Even Iggy’s voice seems a little weak, which I never thought I’d say!

“She Took My Money” is one of the better tunes but again it sounds like it could have been off of, say, Brick By Brick, rather than Funhouse. At the end of the last song, “I’m Fried”, they do attempt a Funhouse-styled guitar/sax freakout, but once more, it seems more calculated than passionate.

Again, these guys are true heroes to me and they influenced everything that I’ve done since the mid-70’s. I completely understand their reasons for the reunion and do not blame them at all. I just can’t get excited about it, which is sad…

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan E said...

Totally agree. Ron's guitar sounds great, but the songs, vision, etc. are completely MIA. They really shoulda just stuck to playing reunion tours.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home