Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bo Diddley – 6 Classic Albums plus Bonus Singles, Sessions & Live Tracks


Are ya kidding me? A 4 CD set of Bo at his best, with extra tracks and all for a discounted price? Of course you should own this! The only excuse not to is if you have all of the original vinyl, because the artwork is not included, which is too bad since Bo was pretty damn distinctive and stylish!

The hits are all here with tons more – lots that I hadn’t heard, though I admit that I’ve never owned a lot of Diddley. I didn’t even know that the Shadows of Knight’s “Oh Yeah” was Bo’s tune – I thought that they were just ripping off “I’m a Man” – I didn’t know that Bo was ripping himself off! Nor did I know that Bo co-wrote Diddy Way Diddy with Willie Dixon, though that makes sense! Some of the tunes are closer to doo-wop/early r'n'r than waht you normally think of when you think of Bo, which is fun. There are 70 (!) album cuts here, and the 4th CD includes singles, sessions that Bo did for other artists and four mid-60’s live tracks.

This man is a giant and yes, you need to own whatever you can by him! This is an amazing collection and a terrific starting point!