Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Wynton Marsalis – Mr. Jelly Lord – Standard Time Vol. 6


Other than my wonderful wife, dog & family, music is the most important thing in this world to me and damn near every day that I’m alive I realize just how much I don’t know about the wild variety of good music that exists in this world. Another case in point – the music of Jelly Roll Morton.

While I love New Orleans and its indigenous music, I have never been much of a scholar of ragtime or New Orleans jazz. So, I am not one to speak critically of this fun and – dare I say it? – whimsical music, but Marsalis obviously has studied this and has done a great job of recreating it – even to the point of recording in the same room where Jelly Roll once did. He put together a terrific band of players and everyone does their part to bring the sounds to life.

Looking for something to play for your next gumbo or jambalya dinner? Check this out!