Sunday, May 19, 2013

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

I know that many people - and the Captain - consider this to be his finest moment, it has never really struck a chord (so to speak) with me. It is indeed challenging and there are many elements throughout. There are recitations, acapella numbers, instrumentals without percussion and many numbers with the drums mixed so far down that you struggle to hear the disjointed beat. When he does simply let it blurt, I can dig it, but the "interruptions" to the flow - obviously done for a purpose - stifle my enjoyment.

Of course many would argue these points with me and maybe I just need to listen to this with a different attitude and "different" ears, and maybe it's just the inherent rocker in me, but this misses. Certainly not a starting point for anyone who wants to explore the Magic Band.