Saturday, June 15, 2013

Tiger Sex, the Lucky Cheats, the Black Jetts - the Double Down Saloon June 14, 2013

I was looking forward to this gig ever since I first heard about it! Rare that 3 of my favorite bands in Las Vegas play a show together, so even though it had been a long week, I made sure to get my ass down to the Double Down.

Opening this night was the new kids on the scene, Tiger Sex. Fronted by singer Kelly, this is her first band, though you wouldn't know it from her aggressive stage presence! Untethered from cords with her wireless mic, she prowled the entirety of the club, making friends and scaring the weak of heart! The musicians are all seasoned veterans, including one of my favorite guitarists-about-town Kei (from the Tinglerz) along with Brian Gathy rockin' on bass and a terrific drummer whose name I have yet to catch (sorry!). Great punk'n'roll with plenty of originals along with covers like "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "Cherry Bomb"! They're getting lots of attention and lots of gigs, so be sure to check 'em out!

I rave about the Lucky Cheats every chance I get and they are always a blues-rock blast! They did some of their standards from their excellent album as well as their interpretations of classics like "Shake Your Hips", "Do the Do" and "I'm a King Bee" and even a couple of new tunes, including one with a cool, spaghetti-western vibe. They never fail to put a smile on your face and get your feet moving! See them whenever you can!


Monster drummer Larry Reha did double duty here - after pounding his heart out with the Cheats, he got his hard-rock ya-yas out with the Black Jetts! These cats (and keyboard-kitten) put out massive slabs of heavy chords and walls of feedback in real songs with good energy and presence. They were a bit loud for the over-worked DD PA system, but their instrumental sound was right-on and considerably better than the last night I saw them at the Triple B. Dig the sound, the riffs and the style - another superior LV group!

There's lot of good stuff happening in the Vegas music scene these days - be sure to get out and support whenever you can!