Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dirty Blues - Various

There have been a number of similar compilations appearing lately, but this one is pretty good, even if it is a bit low budget - no booklet or info on any of the artists. These are all fairly early numbers (it seems like most are from the 20's through the 40's, though I'm sure there are a few later ones) and most rely on sexual innuendo and not blatant bawdiness, as some that I have heard.

The artists range from the famous (Lightnin' Hopkins, Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson, etc.) to the little-known (at least to me - such as Monette More, Jazz Gillum and Lil Johnson). All are pretty fun, though - and most are good as just songs, as well as their titillating lyrics. Many of these I have heard before ("Play With Your Poodle", "Phonograph Blues", "What's the Matter with the Mill", "It's Tight Like That"), but there were some cool surprises such as "Press My Button", "Toothache Blues", "What's That Smells Like Fish", "You Stole My Cherry", "Ants in my Pants" and lots more.

This 2-CD set has 32 songs and sells at a budget price, so well worth it for some good-time, early boogie blues.