Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Tammy Wynette - Super Hits and Biggest Hits



As I've said a few times, I am trying to expand my knowledge of country music, and am grateful to our local library for helping me out in this endeavor. I picked up these two collections as I never knew much about Wynette other than "Stand By Your Man" and "D-I-V-O-R-C-E", but, while she undoubtedly has a great, powerful voice, the songs and production tends to be heavily string-laden, sappy and schmaltzy. There are a few gems, of course - the previously-mentioned hits stand out, as does "Good Lovin' (Makes It Right)", and "I Don't Wanna Play House", while "My Man' is a decent pop tune, but there's not a lot else that really stands out to my ears. I tend to like my country with a little more honky-tonkin' edge to it. If anyone knows of better selections, lemme know!