Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Earl Hooker - The Genius of Earl Hooker

I was quite impressed when I discovered that Earl's instrumental "Blue Guitar" was the original backing track for Muddy Waters' classic "I Can't Quit You" and went on to discover his Two Bugs and a Roach LP. This record I have simply stumbled upon on You Tube and it looks like I will have to grab this, as well!

Opening with a swingin', soulful, slide instrumental, "Two Bugs in a Rug" (obviously referencing his earlier work), you get a terrific groove with excellent playing and fine writing. This continues in his terrific instrumental take of "Hold On, I'm Comin'", where he utilizes some cool tricks like volume control to great effect. "Off the Hook" comes off like a fine Booker T. and the MGs number (lots of fine Hammond organ work throughout this record), and "Dust My Broom" takes on a new life with Earl's combined slide and finger work - you know what the song is, but he adds plenty of his own personality here! The sax and organ work add a new dimension, as well. The band gets funky with "Hot and Heavy", with great playing all around (dig the sax!) and some interesting chord progressions and they again remind me a lot of Booker T. in "The Screwdriver", where Hooker even gets in some chicken pickin'!

Sounding like a slide guitar version of doo-wop, we get the sweet singin' tones of "Bertha", a fine dance number with "The Foxtrot", and a traditional blues in "End of the Blues". Hooker goes country with a cover of Ernest Tubb's "Walking the Floor Over You", which is a bit unique with its yakety sax and Hammond organ but the "Hooker Special" is a cool piece of drivin' funk. It all closes with the funnily-named "Something You Ate", another fun bit of slide-driven blues-soul.

I know Earl is known for his guitar work more than his singing, but I was a bit surprised that he doesn't open his mouth at all on this one. But, regardless, lots of super playing and songs throughout. Well worth it!