Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Psyatcs and the Swamp Gospel at the Huntridge Tavern - Sat Mar 18, 2017

The Huntridge Tavern is one of my favorite waterin' holes in LV and manager Kate Alexander is always terrific and easy to work with, while their crew is super nice and accommodating. The band area is super small, so any gig here is intimate by definition, which is the way I like it these days.

The Swamp Gospel had a awesome time preachin' to our regular congregation and the newly converted. With just two bands playing, each group gets a chance to stretch out some, without the usual, strict time constraints. We pulled out a few older numbers as well as a brand new one and overall soul satisfying set!

Interestingly enough, the Huntridge is also the only place that we ave played where an inebriated member of the audience was offended by our attempts at salvation - or, at least the only place where the alcohol loosens the lips of those easily offended. It has not been a problem at all, but it makes for some philosophical conversations!


(Above SG photo by John Armstrong)



(These two SG pix by Nikki Ruffling)

My favorite local garage/punk'n'roll combo joined us this evening and also stretched out their set a bit to include numbers from all three of their CDs, including the latest, Famous Monsters, which has been getting rave reviews. The set was a high-energy affair and "new" drum man, Mark,  drives a hot pace for Rob and Jack to ride over. The Huntridge pours their drinks strong and I do socialize at my own gigs, so didn't take notes this eve, but suffice it to say, the Psyatics are one of the hottest bands in Vegas right now, and they play pretty regularly, so get out and give 'em some support! We had talked about me sitting in on guitar for a song this evening but instead they invited me to sing Lou Reed's "I Can't Stand It Any More" - unfortunately, I was in the thrall of the "Bourbon Sway" (one of their more relatable songs!) and screwed up more words than I remembered! Thankfully, they dealt with my drunkenness with good humor and a good time was, indeed, had by all!








(Photos of me singing by Melanie Coffee)


Again, thank you to Kate and the entire Huntridge crew for a rockin' good time! We hope to be back soon!