Sunday, December 02, 2018

The Swamp Gospel, the Holy Smokes and No Que No at the Double Down, Saturday Dec 1, 2018


I never got to see the Holy Smokes back in the day (although I was a big fan of the more-or-less later incarnation, the Lucky Cheats), I got to see them do an unofficial reunion at a party at bassist Luke's house and was excited to see them do more. So, of course, I set up a show with the Swamp Gospel as soon as I could and like-minded, Spanish-singin' roots-rockers No Que No filled out the bill.

The Gospel hadn't performed for a few months, but we pulled together some new songs, new sermons (and forgot some of the older ones!) and had new merch (thanks Jw!) and had a soul-savin' good time. We won over some new converts and cleansed some sins, just in time for the holidays!



(Swamp Gospel pic by Nikki Ruffling)

The Holy Smokes were indeed smokin' this evening, stockin' the flames with their garage/blues hybrid. Original members Jeffrey (harp/vocals), Luke (bass/vocals) and Joel (guitar) were joined by drum basher Gerry for a set of hip tunes from their two CDs (Never Give It Up and Live in the Garage) augmented by the likes of Bo Diddley "Pills", Billy Boy Arnold's "I Wish You Would" and an encore of the Stones' "Miss You"! These cats are quickly becoming one of my fave bands in town, and they say they are planning on doing more gigs so be on the lookout for them and pick up their records!




I didn't really know what to expect from No Que No - pretty much all that I knew was that they played roots rock'n'roll in Spanish and that ex-Tommyknockers Jomar was bashin' the skins for them. I thought maybe they would be more straight rockabilly, but the sound was really just cool rock'n'roll with a rootsy edge and solid musicianship. They don't really sound like anyone else in town and that's a good thing! I look forward to hearing more from them. (Sorry I didn't get more photos - guess I was just diggin' the sounds and drinkin' my drinks by then!)


Thanks to the Double Down, all the bands and the great, enthusiastic crowd for a super fun night! Look for the Gospel to return in the new year! Happy holidays!