Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tiny Grimes - Five Classic Albums

I have to admit that I was not familiar with Tiny Grimes until I saw a Facebook post by guitarist-around-town Trevor Johnson (thanks!) and did a little research and found this inexpensive compilation. Combining his albums Blues Groove, Callin' the Blues, Tiny In Swingville, Big Time Guitar With Organ and Rhythm, Hawk Eyes and a few bonus tracks by the Swingville All Stars, this gives a good overview of the man's career and highlights some of the superior musicians he has worked with.

Tiny is a truly phenomenal guitarist with great tone and truly creative lines, and on these recordings he plays everything from Jump Blues, to R'n'B, to jazz/blues, to more "straight" jazz, with some ballads thrown in and, naturally, jazzy interpretations of standards. He doesn't hog the spotlight and the bands are fantastic - amazing keys (mostly Ray Bryant) and sax abound - with players like Coleman Hawkins (sax), Eddie Lockjaw Davis (sax), Art Taylor (drums), and many others.

I'm no connoisseur of jazz, but, as the saying goes, I know what I like and I always appreciate a talented guitarist. I dig a little of everything, but am a big fan of "hot", upbeat, swingin' jazz and there's plenty of that here, along with healthy doses of the blues, fine melodies and heartfelt playing - man, how can you not just feel the groove between a wailin' Hawkins and Grimes flyin' fingers? These sets are always a great deal for an economical capsulization of an artist's work. Fine, fine stuff here!