Sunday, September 08, 2019

Jw Caldwell's Freelance Curmudgeon Saturday Sept 7, 2019

This mess is a place. 

 Ok, so I fucked up.

 I just got off a week of 10 hour days humping heavy fragile shit and driving in New Jersey traffic. On my 5 hour flight home, I was locked into a window seat by a senior couple, one of which was violently ill. When time came to disembark, they thought they could hold me hostage. Them: “He’s sick.” Me: “That sucks, but I’ve got 2 herniated disks and a 5 hour flight hasn’t made matters better; especially with you leaning into my lap, you cow.” I had to fight to get off the plane. I had shows to attend, man!

I get home, take my 3 hour bonus to nap. There’s 2 shows tonight that I desperately want to see; Franks and Deans at the grand opening of the new Thunderbird Lounge and Swamp Gospel, The Implosions and The Van der Rohe at the HT. I learned in SD that “nobody good plays on time.” I was mislead.

 I hopped on my bike to see Franks and Deans at the grand opening of the Thunderbird. I missed their first set, because they put the ‘Punk’ in ‘punctual.’ It turns out that there’s a dude who just wanted to come see them play, but they put him on the bill and I’m so glad they did! Franks and Deans is like your drunk, recently divorced aunt; when she’s in town, you can’t avoid her, but when she’s on the road, you kinda miss her. Franks and Deans make me feel very welcomed. Even if you don’t like their sound, Nicole Muse will soften the blow with her visuals.

I got to see Ukulele Hiro. I heard he just wanted to come listen, but they made him play. Punk rock ukulele and kazoo. He crushed it. His rendition of Beastie Boys’ “Girls” might be better than the original. The Thunderbird Lounge has the potential to be really a really fucking cool venue. Let’s make that “A Thing.”

While this was happening, The Swamp Gospel was playing at the Huntridge Tavern. Stop. I hoped they’d play later, but I’m still on East Coast time. I blew it. They’re fucking rad. Everything about them is fun and they don’t play often enough. So I rode my bike to the Huntridge Tavern, hoping I could catch Rich getting crazy (as he does.) Nah. I got there in time to see The Implosions burn it down! Damn. The Nevada State Museum should have a coin operated animatronic display of this band to teach the kids about REAL history! #FUNding And then The Van Der Rohe played. A perfect garage rock blend of Surf & Rockabilly. (If Will and Paige (ex-Clydesdale) want to do a duet, I’ll fund the fuck out of that project!) I love people that sing with passion! Goddamn.

This town has too much great music happening at the same time. I’ve had enough. I didn’t party as well as I should’ve. If you have an issue with it, maybe you should pay my rent! Cheers, posers!