Sunday, March 15, 2020

Scraper - Misery

I really enjoyed Scraper's minimalist punk rock set last month at the Double Down, so I picked up their LP, but haven't had a chance to really sit down with it until now.

The music is simple, stripped down (no leads to speak of in any of the songs) punk rock'n'roll, reminding me of bands like LA's the Urinals or maybe Wire, but with their own twist, of course. Everything is short'n'to the point, no excess anywhere, with sone memorable choruses and plenty of energy. It definitely reminds me of the early days of punk with buzzsaw guitars'n'snotty vocals dominated and everything wasn't a contest to see how fast you could play (although this is all high energy, but it's not out of control) or how sloppy you could play. As I say, this is minimalistic but the band is tight and they obviously don't equate "punk" with goofy vocals and overall sloppiness.

There is a bit of sameness here, with the songs having similar speeds and arrangements, but I still really relish this in a 70's/early 80's punk rock kinda way. See them for sure but pick this up in the meantime!