Monday, December 21, 2020

Charles Bukowski - Slouching Towards Nirvana

 


Yes, I know it's kinda ridiculous how many Bukowski books I have at this point, but I like his style and there are a helluva lot of them out these days. This is another posthumous release published by his long time editor John Martin at the behest of Buk's widow Linda. Once again, the poems here are generally later works that reminisce about his younger days while also reflecting on his then-current success. He is confident in his writings and while they generally remain reasonably strong, I have to say that this one is not one of his best collections. Nothing bad here - I generally enjoy pretty much everything that I have seen of his - but just not as wild and, yes, poetic, as some of his previous works. Fans will certainly want to round out their collections, but for those starting on Buk, this is probably not the one to go with.