Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Joe Maphis - Gospel Guitar

Joe Maphis has amazed me ever since I discovered him a few years ago and so I have picked up what I have found from this Mosrite Master of the guitar whenever I can. When the spirit takes him, his playing is beyond phenomenal but he isn't just a show-off - he plays with taste and tone and can be quite subdued when the song requires it. Someone posted something about this vinyl record online and I found it at a reasonable price (although the prices online vary wildly - from a few dollars to a few hundred!) because, while I'm a heathen, I am a trad gospel fan and I wanted to see what Maphis would do with this material.

I'm certain that he was a believer and he treats the subject with respect and for the most part, he keeps to the melody rather than letting his fingers fly, although he does let loose on a few numbers. Overall, it's a great gospel record with a wonderful cover! Look for it - it's worth the search!

Track listing - "Onward Christian Soldiers", "A Beautiful Life", "Stand Up For Jesus", "I'll Fly Away", "Softly and Tenderly", "The Church in the Wildwood", "Amazing Grace", "Old Time Religion", "Hear Dem Bells", "Jesus Hold My Hand", "Pass Me Not", "I Shall Not Be Moved", "Bringing in the Sheaves", and "Precious Memories".