Saturday, July 24, 2021

Iggy Pop - I Need More

 

I don’t know how long ago I picked up this 1982 autobiography that Iggy put together with Anne Wehrer - probably not long after it came out - but it had been a long time since I revisited it and his new lyric book reminded me of it so here we are.

I’m not sure what Wehner’s role was specifically (other than as a trusted old friend and confidante) but I wouldn’t be surprised if she simply transcribed interviews with Pop, as the book is very conversational, and she most likely put it together in some coherent fashion. He veers from topic to topic and while the book attempts to be relatively chronological, there are plenty of time jumps, as well.

The man is obviously very intelligent, charismatic and entertaining and tells a captivating tale. How much is true is up to you to decide but it’s always a good'n'compelling time. He recounts many/most of his famous'n'infamous stunts, life-threatening situations, drug-addled adventures, crazed gigs, looney-tunes associates, the women in his life, and innumerable other exploits.

The book is packed with photos, as well, also famous'n'infamous, plenty of live shots through the ages along with posed, studio projections. The man was always incredibly photogenic and so these are always a treat.

Of course, by now, nearly 40 (!!) years later, the man is still around and he certainly should do a sequel (or has he and I don't know about it?) but this is truly an exciting rock'n'roll read. Highly recommended!