Thursday, January 06, 2022

A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector

 


Obviously, I'm a little late on this one, but while I've had the vinyl album forever, it has been packed away with a multitude of other Xmas albums and I rarely get around to pulling it out during the holiday season, so I thought I'd pick up this discounted CD to make sure that I was able to enjoy this terrific album at the appropriate time.

Originally released on the day that JFK was assassinated (a tidbit I did not realize), the record did not initially chart, but has been reissued so many times over the ensuing decades that it is truly a vital part of the sounds of the holiday for most people.

Utilizing the entire Philles Records stable - The Ronettes, Darlene Love, the Crystals and Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans - Phil Spector put his patented "Wall of Sound" to eleven traditional holiday tunes along with an excellent original "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" for a true Christmas treat. Every one of the singers do a terrific job, making these versions many people's favorites.

If you need to get into the holiday mood, simply put on these amazing album!