Friday, January 21, 2022

John Coltrane - The Classic Collaborations 1957-1963

 


I freely admit that I am not very knowledgeable in jazz speak or the history or even many of the players, but I know what I dig, and Coltrane has also been a fave of this genre. I've owned the Monk'n'Coltrane LP since the 70's, but there is a lot that I've never explored and this 4-CD set merging 8 LPs at a discount price was a deal I couldn't pass up!

An award-winning saxophonist who has collaborated with nearly all of the greats of the field, Coltrane is also know as a pioneer in BeBop, Hard Bop and Free Jazz. I will again grant that I could not truly define or delineate between these designations, but I would say that all of these forms speak to me in one way or another.

To repeat, I don't really know how to talk jazz, but this starts off with some fairly smooth, melodic numbers, with Coltrane's excellent tone'n'phrasing and fine piano, bass'n'drum backing. By the second CD, things get  a bit more frantic - maybe this is more of the "hard bop" stylings - without losing any other the melodic elements. I really dig this energy and the backing band continues to impress (including some bowed stand up bass!). 

I am a bit partial to the record he did with Monk since I've had it for so long, but also because it has some fabulous songs'n'playing on it. Sweet tones, great interaction, memorable tunes and downright whimsical numbers like "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Nutty" make this album highly enjoyable. Of course, I can't argue with the work that he did with guitarist Kenny Burrell, either, as these two great players are a joy to listen to and they seemed to inspire each other. 

I have to say that I'm not crazy about the collaboration with the singer Johnny Hartman (the only such collaboration as co-leader, according to the liner notes) , for some reason. I think the man's voice, while good, tends to give the proceedings more of a dinner club/schmaltzy feel than a swingin' jazz combo. But, that's just me, of course! All of the numbers are particularly slow, as well, with little real variation. The mellowness is retained, for the most part, in his work with Duke Ellington but for whatever reason, I prefer this session, and enjoy the playing and the more swingin' vibe here.

Again, I concede that I am far from an expert in jazz, but this is a fine collection and a terrific, inexpensive place to start for anyone interested in Coltrane's career.