Monday, February 21, 2022

CHOP - (B.O.C.)


This is a crazy 7" that I had never even heard about but I was just gifted by our Vegas r'n'r pal, Jeff Murphy, as we have been discussing the merits of Blue Oyster Cult. I have no idea when this was done, but it is a collaboration between Mike Wyatt (bass), "Dezo" Cadena (guitar), Dave Markey (drums), Dave Peterson ("stun bass" - a takeoff on Eric Bloom's stun guitar) and Dave Travis (vocals, which everyone else contributes to, as well) doing two classic BOC numbers, "I'm On the Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep" and "She's As Beautiful As a Foot". The playing is actually pretty spot on with both songs, which ain't necessarily an easy feat, and they stay pretty true to the original arrangements and even have some rockin'/wankin' guitar solos (I know Dez has always been good for that, ever since I saw him with Redd Kross covering Blue Cheer - hey, what's his fascination with "blue" bands?!). The vocals don't match BOC's originals, but these are a bunch of punk rockers, what do you expect? 

A wacky, fun concept (hell, I've covered BOC in my bands before, as well) and clever front cover picture sleeve (a combination of the Germs and BOC, for those not in the know) making up a cool project. I would love to know the story behind this one but I can't find anything online about it. No idea if it's available or not, but worth searching out!