Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Mighty Marvel Masterworks: X-Men Volume 2


 As I've said, I'm really enjoying these Mighty Marvel Masterworks series and revisiting the stories that I first read in the 1960's and the originals have long since disappeared. 

In this second volume collection of the X-Men series, we follow the mutants as they continue to grow and fight their arch-enemy, Magneto, they - and we - learn the origin of Professor X and his half-brother, cleverly named Cain, who becomes the invincible Juggernaut, followed by the introduction of the Sentinels and one of my favorite villains, the Mimic.

I'm sure it helps that I grew up on these tales, but I love the storytelling - even if there is always a bit of misogyny towards the female characters, no matter how powerful they are - and while the artwork is not the best of the era, the layouts are top notch and exciting.

I'll always recommend early Marvel stories and love rereading them - always a fun time!