Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Superman/Wonder Woman - A Savage End Volume 5

 

As with the Power Girl collection I review elsewhere, this is another compendium of random issues related to the romance of Supes and WW, as opposed to a graphic novel with a single, linear storyline. So, once again, for those like me who have not been following along with DC heroes even within the last decade or two, it's a bit haphazard, even with synopsis at the beginning of each chapter.

There's a number of stories going on here, as I said, with the two struggling to make their relationship work despite their differences and mainly with Superman losing his powers (more than once, apparently) and almost dying more than once. Clark is not used to relying on anyone or being saved or even being left behind, which Diana does for his own good, and she even calls on her fellow gods and goddesses to bring him back to life. Her inheriting the mantel of the God of War doesn't sit well with Clark, either, although as heroes they fight for peace every day. And I have no idea what is happening with Lois Lane, who, as best as I can tell, has a family with another version of Superman, which is not explained at all in this compilation. So, lots to sift through, without much real resolutions.

I think that I have been out of the DC loop for way to long for these compendiums - I need a single storyline with a beginning, middle and an end so that I can understand what the heck DC is doing with their various heroes these days. So, certainly not recommended for those like me who have not been in touch with these characters for quite a while.