Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Corporate Rock Sucks - Jim Ruland

 

I was never a big fan of most of the bands that SST released, but I decided to pick up this book once I found out that my friend Linda Aronow has photos in it. Turns out, it's a great read!

Because I already read Keith Morris’ fine autobiography (that Ruland also co-wrote), I’m somewhat familiar with the early history of Black Flag, but this book also expands on the role of other related early So Cal bands, such as the Last (Morris gives them plenty of kudos, as well, and there’s a terrific tale of Joe Walsh helping them out early on!), one of my fave bands of the early scene, and, of course, the history of the SST label. 

The Ginns family history is particularly fascinating and Ruland gives plenty of information about their upbringing, background and familiar support, as well as tidbits about how Raymond got his nom de plume and his first comic/zine release.

SST Records evolved out of Greg Ginn's Solid State Transistor business and his bands, starting with Panic! and morphing into Black Flag. Ginn comes off a bit dictator-ish, but he had a vision and, while it may have changed over the years, he stuck to his own guns. Of course, the story of SST Records is also the story of innumerable bands from SoCal, as well as the rest of the country, even into Canada. While, as I said, I am not a fan of many of the groups mentioned, it is a fascinating tale and more open-minded than I would have expected, which makes me want to research the groups that I am not familiar with.

Ruland is a fine, descriptive writer and has a way of making bands whose music I do not care for sound more inviting as well as making me think of their works in different ways. He keeps the story flowing and readable even as he jumps around with the various groups'n'characters, always bringing it back to the SST fold.

It is interesting to me that the really oddball bands - Sacharrine Trust, Minutemen, Husker Du, Meat Puppets - sold tens of thousands of records. But then again, Sonic Youth appears in the story and ends up on SST and look what happened with that unusual band! Of course, being based in SoCal, some friends of ours appear in the story, from bands like the Leaving Trains to writers like Eddie Flowers to photographers like Linda Aronow, along with a long list of bands that appeared on the same bill as my groups over the years. There's also quite a bit of drug use and even a connection to Nancy Pelosi, of all people!

The number of records that SST released is fairly mind-boggling - at times surpassing major labels! - and the number of records by the same band that they would release simultaneously or even in the same year is pretty phenomenal and possibly self-defeating. Of course, it's never a good idea to over-extend your business and once a few major distributors shut down, SST was hit hard and had to do some major down-sizing and lost some important personnel. This, along with Ginn's headstrong ways, along with some lawsuits, essentially ends the SST label as a strong independent and while they still exist, the label is no longer the powerhouse it once was.

Really much more compelling then I expected - definitely recommend, especially for those who dig the early LA scene.