Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Sister Rosetta Tharpe Live in France

 

I've been a huge fan of the Sister's since first discovering her a couple decades or so ago (although I can't find any post reviewing any recordings of hers, which is beyond bizarre, but might be due to blogger's terrible search function), and have searched out her works, although we don't have much.

I just discovered the existence of this CD of her live in Limonges, France in 1966 (I believe that it is a new release) and picked it up as soon as I could. It's a nice package with an extensive booklet that includes great photos and several essays describing her time in Europe and her importance as a musician and singer.

Tharpe is a fairly phenomenal guitarist (similar in style to Lonnie Johnson, I believe, although I don't know who might have influenced who) who has influenced innumerable later musicians, not the least being Chuck Berry and Elvis, as well as a soulful, gospel-fueled singer. She is primarily a gospel musician, although she has strayed into secular material and venues throughout her career, but her music has blurred the boundaries between gospel, blues and even rock'n'roll from the very start.

In this concert she performs solo, just her and her guitar, and fills the sound amazingly well, with deft licks interspersed with chords'n'runs, backing her powerful voice. There is one song, "Up Above My Head" which has piano backing and the liner notes say "pianist unknown" even though they say that she would play the piano for her hosts in private settings, which makes me think that this is her, although I was unaware of her proficiency on the instrument. If indeed it is her, she is a fine player!

This hour-ish long set is a superior collection of some of her best known numbers mixed with classic gospel tunes, as well as some songs that I had never heard before and she is terrific from start to finish. The sound quality if pretty superb, as well, so all-in-all, a fantastic package that any who love gospel, blues OR rock'n'roll should certainly own!