Tuesday, October 15, 2024

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

 



Made another trip to the library and picked up a couple issues of this graphic novel to see what Marvel is doing with Spider-Man and his foes these days - relatively speaking - I guess this series started about 10 years ago! 

First off, somehow Doctor Octopus has somehow commandeered Peter Parker's body (I believe) and is acting as Spider-Man. He is fighting the bad guys, but doing so in a vicious manner - much more so that PP would have done, but effective, nonetheless. In the two chapters that I picked up, though, Spidey/Doc is hardly involved, and this series depicts the misadventures of Boomerang and his gang of misfit villains, including Tombstone's daughter as a female Beetle.

Lots of second and third (and further) tier bad guys get involved but the story is written for chuckles, with basically everyone being a total fuckup with innumerable insecurities and issues galore. I don't look for my heroes or villains to be perfect these days, but, for me, this takes it all overboard a bit, with everyone being such schmucks that you don't really care what happens to any of them.

Apparently, this is/was an ongoing series, so others must not have had the problems with this that I have had, but it didn't click with me. Maybe I'm just not meant for the modern comic world and I should stick to the reissues!