Katabasis - RF Kuang
Named for the Greek term for a descent into the Underworld, Kuang creates a world in which magic not only works, but is an academic study. Alice, a student about to graduate, loses her thesis director via a spell gone wrong (possibly her fault due to the impossible expectations fostered upon the students) and follows him into Hell in order to try to bring him back. Just as she's about to leave, she is joined by a fellow student, who has also been researching the descent for reasons of his own. They use writings such as Dante's Inferno as a guide and each has their own set of specialties that they bring with them.
I found this book by searching for intelligent, realistic fiction, but I suppose that "realistic" is a subjective term, as this tale is anything but. I do need to suspend my personal beliefs, not only in the afterlife, but in the theories of time, space, reincarnation, the transmutation of energy and more. Of course, "magick" itself is described as possible only by (essentially) believing in the unbelievable. But, the writing is good and the story moves along.
Here, Hell is familiar but with obstacles preventing the "shades" (newly dead) from moving on - for instance, the first circle is a seemingly infinite library, which is initially comforting, until our characters realize that there is a test that must be studied for in order to pass through and no one knows the rules or the expectations. Of course, the shades have literally all the time in the world, but our characters need to move fast in order to catch up with the professor.
As with other visits to Hades, this includes numerous commentary on various groups, from writers to philosophers to political activists to professors and many more - some hilarious, some petty. There is some pseudo-science, some real higher mathematics, and other logic mixed with magical theologies either to make things sound somewhat plausible or just for Kuang to show off!
Our earthly characters encounter various friends, enemies, and nebulous shades, as well as the obstacles of Hell in their quest and sometimes win and sometimes lose but eventually, meet with Lord Yama to decide their fate and the fate of their quest.
I don't know if I am just being extraordinarily picky these days, but, once again, I found this good but not great. As I said, the story moves along and I'm not even sure what I didn't care for, but I'd say it was alright...

<< Home