Thursday, April 19, 2007

Garbage - Bleed Like Me


Garbage – Bleed Like Me

I’m not usually drawn to commercial bands, but I have always thought that Garbage had some interesting qualities – good melodies, a noisy edge – and I do really like this album, despite being more produced than I normally prefer.

It starts off with the power-chord driven “Bad Boyfriend” which does sound practically evil and yet sexy with Manson singing lines like “So ripe so sweet come suck it and see, But watch out Daddy I sting like a bee, I know some tricks I swear will give you the bends, C'mon baby be my bad boyfriend.”

They take a turn at 80’s new wave on “Run Baby Run’ and then a basic pop tune with “Right Between the Eyes” before going into their single from the album.

“Why Do You Love Me” – questioning why someone would love a woman who looks like a model and who fronts a successful rock band does not seem very realistic. This is a good, catchy and rockin’ song with a memorable chorus, but rings a bit false and contrived lyrically because she never presents any evidence of why someone should not love her. I assume that they are reaching out to the average (and average looking) person listening to the song and hoping that they will connect to it, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense coming from this singer. Not that good looking people can’t be insecure but still…Unless, of course, I am interpreting the lyrics completely wrong! Or, this could just be a “story song” and not meant to be able her at all. Regardless, despite being a good song, it is just not very believable.

The rest of the album includes more noisy-guitar pop (Metal Heart, Boys Wanna Fight – which has some of the more – hopefully – purposely silly lyrics that I’ve heard in a while!), more 80’s-styled new wave (Sex Is Not The Enemy) and even a quiet ballad (It’s All Over But the Crying).

Again, those who know me know that I generally prefer a much rawer sound to my bands and even though the guitars can be noisy on here, it is a produced noise. But, if that doesn’t bother you, then you will find some damn fine modern, dark pop tunes on this record!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home