Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Girlschool – King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents…


A high quality live recording of a 1984 show of this band with the classic line up of McAuliffe, Johnson, Weston and Dufort that shows that despite smoothing over some of their edges in the studio, live, these girls rocked hard and heavy!

I’ve already raved about this band in a couple of posts and this collection doesn’t have any surprise tunes, but the versions are all hi-energy, with great, loud guitars and – thankfully – no 80's keyboards! Songs like “Screaming Blue Murder”, “20th Century Boy”, and their cover of Slade’s “Burning in the Heat”, which suffered from polished production in the studio, really shine here.

Everything included on the CD is top-notch and makes me wish that I saw the band when I had a chance in the 80’s (though I think I was just too damn poor at the time). I would even recommend this as a starting point for anyone interested in the group – it’s that damn good!