Friday, July 29, 2011

Slow Blues: Blues Play-a-Long Volume 3


I've already written about some of the other guitar instructional books that I have but I have to give a warning about this one - DO NOT BUY!

This is a complete rip-off and totally useless and a surprise coming from the usually reliable Hal Leonard series. The "easy-to-read, authentic lead sheets" are nothing more than the lyrics, melody lines and the name of the chords. Nothing that you could possibly use to learn the song, unless you want to sing it.

There is a CD that accompanies the book, but it simply allows you to play along with the song - just like you could do with the regular CD of the tunes. Yes, you can turn off a channel and turn off the guitar, but that doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't know what the guitar is playing!

Now I am no longer sure that I can trust any Hal Leonard book, despite having several very good ones. Very disappointing.