Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Bloody Villains - Motor City Cafe 4-28-12


The Bloody Villains were recommended to me (thanks Heximer!) a while back and when I found out that they were playing first at one of my favorite r'n'r venues, I made a point in getting out for the rock! This high energy Las Vegas quartet looks like they could be a rockabilly or Social Distortion cover band, but they list their influences as "The Hangmen, Hellacopters, The Wildhearts, The Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, Turbonegro, New York Dolls, The Saints", which seems pretty damn accurate to me! They've just recorded a 3 song demo, which they were giving out for free at the show, and their sound is high-energy punk'n'roll with melodies and sing-along choruses - you know - real songs! Damn if they don't remind me of LA's B-Movie Rats or the Hellbenders - a couple of the best in the 90's.

Singer/lead guitarist Verdusco looks like a 50's styled Penn Jillette but has a terrific voice, flying fingers and great taste in guitars (he played a lefty Mostrite through an Orange amp). Ably backed by solid players Nano on rhythm guitar, Chris Cano on bass and backing vocals and drummer Scott Smith, the band powered through their set despite a few technical difficulties and had the crowd bouncing and flailing about by the end.

After years of being disappointed in so many bands that I had seen in Vegas, I'm glad that there seems to be a number of hot combos appearing in the ranks. If you like real rock'n'roll played fast and furious, definitely see these cats. You won't be sorry!