Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Jared Lord, Izzy Cox, Stagnetti's Cock and the Psyatics at the Double Down, Feb 7, 2014

My band opened this show, so I was a little discombobulated throughout the night and I did not take the notes that I normally do, so this will be a little briefer than usual. Jared Lord came on right after we finished and I was intrigued by the new line up with Lord on dobro backed by a stand up bass and a pedal steel guitarist. But, I was pulled away by merchandising and socializing so I'm afraid that I missed the set. Sorry!

Up next, from Texas, was Ms. Izzy Cox, a former associate of Soda and His Million Piece Band and a singer/songwriter/guitarist/drummer whose tunes fall into a similar vein. She enthralled the crowd with her songs and her "honeyed whiskey" voice (as more than one described it) and at the end got a number of people up on stage to join in on a rousing "You Are My Sunshine".


I've seen Stagnetti's Cock before, but they have definitely gone through some changes and - at least for this night - they were a snappily-dressed punk'n'roll outfit. Energetically rockin' and having a good time, they seemed much improved for my previous impression. Will have to check 'em out again and see if there are any further changes!

Playing "clean up" for the night, at some ungawdly hour, was the great Psyatics. I've raved about these cats repeatedly and did my best to stay up through their set, but once it got past 3:30am, my 45 minute commute loomed heavily and I bid my farewells. They have some new tunes and are hitting the clubs again, so be sure to see 'em whenever ya can!