Friday, May 30, 2014

The Strypes - Snapshot

After grabbing the teaser EP, Blue Collar Jane, I knew that I'd have to get their full-length and it's a
smoker! These kids - and yes, they are still kids, in the best garage tradition - are a helluva garage/r'n'b combo that, as I said before, would easily have fit in with the LA/SD 80's revival, which is a big compliment from this 80's stalwart!

Starting out with a wall of feedback, they blast out with the frenzied garage-riffer "Mystery Man", showing that they have punk roots, as well. There's plenty of Shadows of Knight influence - the singer's voice and harp playing reminds me a lot of an amped up Jim Sohns - their take on "I Can Tell" especially sounds like it could have easily come off of Back Door Men - not to mention their "You Can't Judge a Book" (that the Shads did on their Gloria album)! They're not afraid to slow it down, as in the moody, bluesy "Angel Eyes", where the guitarist impresses with some firey leads. "Perfect Storm" leads me to believe they've been listening to some Fleshtones (or taking the same influences!) and songs like "What a Shame" shows a nice use of harmonies as well as rhythm to get their ideas across. The end with a one-two punch of a spot-on "Heart of the City" and an insanely manic "Rollin' and Tumblin'", complete with a Yardbirds-styled rave-up ending! Whew!

After listening to this CD, I take back anything I've said about the guitarist's abilities - here he throws out hyper-speed licks and plenty of tasty leads - all cool stuff. The rhythm section is tight as can be as they blast through the set. I know they've received some criticism from detractors for one reason or another - everything from them being puppets of their parents to just rehashing old rockers - but I gotta say - this is a wildly exciting slab of rock'n'roll! I wish that all kids were this hip!

(PS - if you get this, you don't need the Blue Collar Jane EP - I don't have the CD with me, but don't think that there is anything there that is not on this one.)