Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Swamp Gospel, The Rhyolite Sound, The Mapes and The Swank Bastards at the Double Down, Saturday May 21, 2016


This was a show that I set up for my birthday so other than saying that it was a great time and thank you to everyone who showed up and especially all of the great bands that played, I don't have a lot to say. Every band is amazing in their own way and cool cats and you should see and support them all!

Swamp Gospel photo by Nikki Ruffling:



The Rhyolite Sound might not have gotten the DD crowd two-steppin', but their desert honky-tonk got a great reception:






The Mapes brought in a crazy crowd who sang along to every one of their rude'n'sloppy punk rock. Actually, they were not particularly sloppy these evening - I don't think anyone was as wasted as usual and their wasnb't food flying everywhere so they actually played a coherent set! Fun times!









Just cuz the Mapes normally have to play last, I thought I'd give them a break and the Swank Bastards were good enough to close the night, as they never seem to get tired! Great set of their own brand of surf instrumentals (including one of their Black Sabbath covers) with Turbo drumming this evening. I think they were ready to go all night, but the crowd was a little wiped out by then!





Again, thank you to the Double Down and all of these fine bands!