Monday, July 03, 2017

Johnny Zig and the Highlighters at the Burly-Q Revue at the Double Down, Sunday July 2, 2017


I've been meaning to get out to see Mark Bartschi playing with Johnny Zig and the Highlighters for a while now, but since the SUnday night Burly-Q Revue seems to be their regular gig these days, it's a tough one for me. I had the next day off, so I ventured out this time.

As best as I can tell, the Highlighters are primarily a three piece - Johnny on guitar, Mark on drums and a groovin' bassist whose name I did not catch. But, they have friends sit in regularly, such as a a rockin' harp player who did "Low Rider" and a few others with the band, a conga/percussionist and another guitarist. Their sound is a combination of blues, funk and soul and is made for dancin', which I'm sure the Burly-Q women appreciate!

I didn't get pix of all of the dancers, but there was Radium Jane, Mae du Luc (pronounced, "made you look"), Lynxie van Bourbon and Innocence. There was also a magician names Krystal Lawrence who did a short skit and who amazed and amused. The guys provided dancin' tunes like "Harlem Nocture", Big Legs, Tight Skirt", The Way I Walk" and "Red House". Throughout the rest of their set, they did some originals, some wah-wah funk, a 12 bar blues take on "Your Mama Don't Dance and Your Daddy Don't Rock'n'Roll", and plenty more. Mark always impresses me with his skills and in this setting he is super tight, snappy and in the pocket as he propels the different styles. Really fun band - will definitely check 'em out again when I can!