Sunday, February 24, 2019

TV Party Tonight at the Double Down with Life of Brian, Scott Giliam, Water Landing, the Psyatics, Saturday Feb 23, 2019


Haanson Myer's TV Party Tonight events at the Double Down are always a good time with VJ Atomic (Haanson) playing the coolest music videos throughout the night with the addition of a full length movie and a live band. For this special Saturday night edition, we got Monty Python's LIfe of Brian movie, trivia and a Q and A with Terry Gilliam's brother Scott (an old friend of Haanson's), live music from Water Landing and a set from the Psyatics with me (self promoter that I am) debuting on second guitar!


Life of Brian is, of course, a classic Python movie and is always a pleasure to watch, even in a booze-ridden dive bar with several dozen of your closest friends. Scott Gilliam told some tales of this movie along with the Holy Grail, answered some audience questions and gave out special Monty Python memorabilia as prizes for correct trivia answers!



The Water Landing folks all were under the weather (not surprising, considering how crazy the Las Vegas weather has been lately!) and keyboardist/vocalist/stewardess Jules could not make it to the show at all, but the other three put on a strong showing with a hard-edged set of their quirky, new-wave-y songs from their two CD's. Good energy and stage presence despite their illnesses!




Of course, I can't say much about the Psyatics set as I was playing with them this eve, but these cats were always one of my fave bands in town and I've always dug their no-wave/noize-punk sounds and I can only hope that I added some fullness and coherence to the mania! We debuted a couple of new tunes with more on the way, and lot of shows, including some super special guests coming up in March and further on, so be on the lookout! Naturally, I couldn't take any photos - if I come across any, I will add them to this post!

Thank you to Haanson, the DD, Scott Gilliam and Water Landing (and the rest of the Psyatics, of course!) for a fun-filled evening!