Thursday, February 16, 2023

Suburban Resistance - Songs of the Dead

 

So, first a disclaimer - I've gotten to know the guys in Suburban Resistance (a little bit) and think that they're all damn nice guys - singer Kevin, in fact, is a super-rock'n'roll fan who knows more about good music than someone his age has any right to, and he owns several of my records and knew who I was before we met! So, there's that!

BUT, along with being good peeps, these cats can actually play'n'write some damn fine punk'n'roll! They are not afraid of melody - although I wouldn't call their stuff pop-punk (not that there's anything wrong with that!) - and always have a healthy dose of "whoa-whoas" and "heys" and other sing/shout-along-isms (ala the Misfits) in their tunes. They also show off their rock'n'roll roots without delving into thievery/parody with hints of 70's rock riffs, metal madness, punk rockness (natch) and real songwriting. 

I cannot keep track of how many records they have already put out in their short r'n'r lifespan, but there's been a few and this one, their latest, is a double album set! Jeez! People who can't stop writing songs make me crazy! (Although I guess I used to be like that when I was younger!) Guitarist (and former drummerz) Adam runs the label and does a nice job with packaging and this gatefold set comes in a purty blue vinyl with cool artwork, photos and (well written) lyrics included.

Of course, the songs are what makes an album and these are all solid tunes, utilizing the various forms I mentioned above in various formations. Every player is super solid, though no one is flashy and no one tries to steal the spotlight, and Kevin keeps the melody flowing while singing about numerous topics. The easily move from style to style, while still retaining their own sound, from wild punk rock to the closer, a truly heartfelt'n'touching (and damn purty) acoustic ballad dedicated to Kevin's deceased father - damn near brings me to tears listening to it!

So, yeah, I dig these cats and they are breaking/crossing boundaries and just playing good music! Just get it and if you're in Vegas, see them, as they play pretty regularly!