Thursday, December 28, 2023

Deadpool Classic - Headcanon and Make War, Not Love

 



I had never read any Deadpool comics before this despite his popularity in movies'n'memes so I thought I'd grab these during my last library run. Of course, I knew the basics about the character - he's a wise ass "mercenary with a mouth", a killing machine with incredible healing powers, and that's about it - but I didn't know how Marvel actually fit him into their Universe. These two random classic novels don't really answer that as these are compendiums of random, stand-alone stories, not involved with any other known Marvel superheroes - although I seem to be speaking too soon in the case of the later collection, which I have not yet finished. But, in any case, they seem to use this character just for fun, and don't try to tie any continuity to him, and they can just throw any random idea out, no matter how absurd - or sometimes somewhat serious - and just run with it. So, of course, some of these work better than others, and I'm not sure if I'm all that enamored with the character but it's all light-hearted fun and silliness.