Wednesday, February 27, 2008

R. Crumb Conversations edited by D.K. Holm


Crumb is not exactly rock’n’roll – in fact, he doesn’t care for most rock music past the initial burst in the mid-50’s – but he is obviously a counter-culture icon and deservedly so. He pretty much started underground comics with his Zap series and helped to open alternative press in general to “taboo” subjects such as sex and drugs and many other subjects previously kept under wraps.

This collection of interviews – something that Crumb loathes doing – spans the years from 1968 and his initial rise to fame to 2002 and his semi-retirement to a small town in France. A number of similar subjects are hit upon in nearly every interview, so that can be a bit tedious once you know what Robert’s answer will be, but there is a lot of interesting information here on the man as well as his wife and sometimes collaborator, Aline Kominsky-Crumb. There is even a timeline of major events of Crumb’s life provided.

Crumb never shies away from his eccentricities, perversions, infidelities, and just plain oddness in his work or these interviews. His passion for the music of the 20’s and 30’s is explored, as well as he disdain for much of current American culture and most people.

It is funny, though, that he is known for being somewhat of a misanthrope, even though he has a circle of friends that he regularly sees, even after moving to this French village. I don’t think that he is as nearly the loner that he perceives himself to be. I see the same thing in Bukowski’s writings – he would rail against the masses but then always hang out at crowded places and also go to and hold parties. Their need to mingle with other human beings far exceeds mine, for instance. I moved to a new city 5 years ago and have not made any friends here and don’t feel any need to. I have a wonderful wife and, of course, I have to work (though I would love a job that didn’t entail interaction with others), but otherwise, I have no desire for the company of other people. I like nothing better than going home, closing the door and ignoring the outside world. I love my family and the old friends that I have, but I certainly don’t need to communicate regularly with others. On the other hand, I do this blog, which is a form of communication, though a lot less intimate. But this is just an issue that I have with self-described misanthropes!

In any case, the book is a good, informative read and does explore Crumb’s career and personal life throughout the decades and it is a good companion to the Crumb movie.