Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Josh White – Sings the Blues and Sings Volume One & Two


I first heard Josh White on a compilation performing “Well, Well, Well” (better known – to me, at least – as “Jesus Gonna Make Up My Dying Bed”), an excellent and passionate gospel blues. I was hoping for more of the same with this compendium of two of his records, but am somewhat disappointed. While he is a superior guitar player and a fine singer and the sound here is excellent, the songs are soft in the extreme, to the point of practically being easy listening. And while I dig some slick blues – say, T-Bone Walker, for example – I want some fire and feeling bursting from the grooves. A lot of the tunes here are more folk than blues and the delivery is quiet and, at times, downright boring, I’m sad to report. Good for what it is, but not my kind of spoonful.