Friday, April 04, 2014

The Unwieldies with the All Togethers at Velveteen Rabbit, Thursday April 3, 2014

I've written about the Unwieldies so many times now that I'm starting to run out of adjectives for them (or maybe I did a long time ago - I never said I was a writer!) but once again, their talent and terrific songs won over the crowd at this relatively new downtown bar. Danielle's voice always impresses and blends well with Rob's vocals and moving bass lines, while Jack's violin (don't call it a fiddle! :) ) keeps it classy! Of course, a good part of the set came from their CD, though these tunes were augmented by their take on Tom Waits' "Chocolate Jesus" and relatively new numbers "Wouldn't That Be Love" and "First To Tell You I Told You So". This was a good setting for their acoustic groove and they didn't disappoint.


Another combo that I have ranted'n'raved about innumerably is the terrific All Togethers and this show was the first I have seen since the addition of cellist Brenna, who also adds vocals, giving the group some lovely 4 part harmonies. Unfortunately, the cello was a bit muted through most of the set, though it did really stand out in their moody original "When the Night Comes' and on their closing cover of - believe it or not - "Baba O'Reilly". I also appreciated the choreographed cello/stand-up bass twirls in "Freight Train"! Always an overabundance of talent and a barrel of good times and you have no excuse for not seeing and appreciating them, as they play everywhere, all the time - they are probably performing mere feet from you as you read this!


The Velveteen Rabbit is a hip, comfortable bar with lots of lounging/seating areas and a nice little corner for bands to play. I do wish that they would have shows on more than just Thursday nights, though. Hopefully, as the weather warms up, this place will heat up, as well!