Friday, October 24, 2014

The Unwieldies at the Velveteen Rabbit, Thursday 10-23-14

Alright, alright, I know I've gone on about this terrific acoustic group a number of times on this blog, but it's only because they really are that good. The Velveteen Rabbit is a fine place to hear their sounds, as it seems more conducive to acoustic music than some other venues in town. Everyone was in fine form this evening and the songwriting really is highlighted when you can really hear the lyrics and melodies as well as the music. The songs range from heartbreak to anger to love (sometimes in one tune, I believe) and lots more and the words are always truly clever and the vocals trade-off, harmonize and switch leads, keeping anything from becoming too samey. New(ish) addition Richard adds some nice touches on dobro and acoustic guitar and Jack's violin playing seemed especially strong this night.

As I always say, I'm not much of a writer and words often tend to fail me, but if you dig well-crafted tunes with great vocals and fine playing, check 'em out.