Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Hymn For Her - Drive Til You Die

I bought this CD based on a video or two of this duo (Wayne Waxing on drums and Lucy Tight on guitar) doing some great stompin' blues and was looking forward to an album's worth of similar material. Unfortunately for me, these two cannot seem to decide what type of music they want to make and while there are a couple of bluesy rockers (the opener and closer, specifically), the rest of the record is primarily slower, almost singer-songwriter ballads. There is some variety and I like it better when they move into a more bluegrass-y style, but overall, this ain't for me, despite both of them being fine players and singers.

I believe that this is a new project and maybe as they progress their musical schizophrenia will subside, but this was a bit of a disappointment for me.