Sunday, July 09, 2017

The Pluralses, Stagnetti's Cock, Swamp Pussy at the Double Down, Friday July 7, 2017



The Double Down Saloon had a 6 band marathon this night, which ran well into the early hours of the following day - much longer than this old man could stay for! The evening was filled with songs about body parts and bodily functions - more cock, pussy and tits tunes that you could shake your dick at - and all kinds of variations of punk rock.

The Pluralses opened and I had wished that they had started a little earlier, as it was a band-heavy bill and the place was packed - more so than almost any other time I've been there - right from the start. Regardless, they plowed through a set of simple'n'fast punk rock, singing tales of true stories about dicks, tits'n'blow jobs. Apparently, there has been some "controversy" about their song "She Was Asking For It" because people weren't really paying attention to the lyrics, but all was well this eve! Drummer Lavin has really improved since the last time I saw them and there were goofy but tight.



I never really know what Stagnetti's Cock is trying to do, musically. Certainly, some take on punk rock, but with blues rock tendencies (which I like), classic rock sounds and a bit a metal here'n'there, and thrown in a chaotic blender and shot out in an anarchic way. The core group can really play, but just to mess with everyone, they add extra people - an extra guitar, and extra bass, a harmonica player who didn't have the right key for his harp - and it all devolves into a barely recognizable "Roadhouse Blues". Weirdly fun, though I would like to get their recording so I can hear what the songs are actually supposed to sound like!






It was pretty damn late already by the time that Swamp Pussy got going (and smokey as heck, as you can see in these pix), and I was wiped out from my day at work, so couldn't stay for their whole set of noisy metal punk, but they continued with the theme of songs about body parts and bodily functions (as their name would suggest). There were funny and goofy but could play, so I would like to check them out again at some point.



I was sorry that I couldn't stick around to see the Psyatics, who I really came out for, but I think that my age is catching up with me!