Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Snooks Eaglin - Soul's Edge

 



This one was a prez from my old buddy Kenzo - thanks, man! - and while I was familiar with Snooks' name, I never knew too much about the man, other than what I found out while reviewing That's All Right a number of years ago. This New Orleans-based guitarist was once billed as "Little Ray Charles" but over the years has made a name for himself by playing a variety of styles while still remaining true to his own personal vision.

This 1995 release shows off his N'Awlins' roots by opening with Fats Domino's "Josephine", with its bouncy, syncopated beat and hip, bluesy guitar licks. This is followed by an upbeat blues in "Show Me The Way Back Home" (some fine, fast-paced soloing here, in a Texas style - kinda Stevie Ray Vaughn-ish), more great guitar-ing in the rather un-PC cover of "Ling Ting Tong" (swinging NO rhythms, though!), the instro "Aw' Some Funk" has a funky melodic nod (to my ears, anyway) to "I'm In With the In Crowd", he gives us a slow, soulful blues, with a hint of doo-wop in "I'm Not Ashamed", more soul for "Nine Pound Steel", a bit of (instrumental) Gospel for "Answer Now", pretty respectful takes on "Skinnie Minnie" and "Thrill on the Hill", another slow blues in "You and Me", then the very New Orleans-y "I Went to the Mardi Gras", the sweet soul ballad, "Talk To Me",  a take on Earl King's rather silly "Mama and Papa" and finally the traditional Gospel of "God Will Take Care".

Some truly terrific guitar playing throughout this one - definitely a quality release from the 90's!