The Woggles - Stop and Take a Minute
I grabbed this one as a random choice as I wanted to get something from the band after their fab set at the Usual Place and they were fairly slammed at the merch table and this seemed to be what they were promoting so I didn't really look it, I just tossed them some cash and thanked them for a fun show.
Turns out that it's a "B-Sides and Rarities" compilation with tons of guest appearances from the likes of Keith Streng, Steven Van Zandt, Peter Greenberg and Graham Day (who the internet says is now in the band, although I'm sure it was not him playing with them here in Vegas, so I dunno) and others. Apparently, they have made a few friends since they started way back in 1987!
To me, it kinda sounds like they patterned themselves after the Fleshtones brand of garage-rock'n'soul, but with their own take on it, naturally. On this release, they tend to keep things upbeat'n'rockin' with plenty of 60's sounds, but not aggressively retro - even if there are a few steals here'n'there (like we all do). The band is tight, the vocals - lead and backing - are strong and it all rocks!
Groovy stuff throughout! Oddly, I don't seem to have any of their other releases so not sure how to compare this to anything else that they have put out, but I would say that this would be a good place to start - or a good addition to your collection!


<< Home