The Velvet Underground Live at Max's Kansas City
I've been reading a rather lengthy book on the VU so, as I am wont to do, I've been listening to a lot of VU recordings and today I looked to see what I still had on vinyl and this is one that I hadn't heard for a while so I gave it a spin.
The first thing that any fan would notice is that it is definitely not Maureen on drums - they are far, far busier and more traditionally "rock'n'roll" than her usual style. It tuns out that she was pregnant at the time of these shows and was temporarily replaced with newcomer Doug Yule's (who had replaced John Cale on bass and keys) brother Billy. He's a good drummer (he also plays on some of Loaded - Maureen was not available for all of that album, either - which was recorded around the time of these shows) but a very different style, making this more of a rock band than the oddity that was the Velvets.
But, while the feel has changed, it's still a fun r'n'r show. Opening with a definitely more upbeat take on "I'm Waiting For The Man" (they did change this up even with Maureen in the lineup, but very noticeable here), they run through a fine version of "Sweet Jane", "Lonesome Cowboy Bill" (never one of my faves) and a chuggin' "Beginning to See the Light".
Side two gets a bit quieter and more introspective (apparently, there was a decision to have one side more rockin' and one side the softer "pop" sounds) with takes on "I'll Be Your Mirror", the then-new "Pale Blue Eyes", "Sunday Morning", the powerful "New Age", "Femme Fatale" and the hokey (but one that lou was fond of), "After Hours", which he dedicates to Maureen, who he claims sings it better than he does, but he enjoys it. So, an obvious choice to combine old'n'new tunes.
Although recorded on a mono cassette player, the sound is surprisingly good (despite some on the internet who say otherwise) and while only half the band, it is still a cool artifact of a great show at the end of the group's career.

<< Home