Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Strange Tales - The Complete Collection

 


Following the popularity of the Fantastic Four series, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby decided to give the teenage superhero, the Human Torch, his own series within the pages of Marvel's Strange Tales comic (there were always another couple of random stories accompanying the adventures of the Torch and eventually Dr. Strange was the accompaniment). After a few issues, they added the Thing, as well, for a total run of 30+ issues - and, of course, all of the members of the FF made appearances, in fact, Johnny lived with his sister, Sue Storm (the Invisible Girl). I loved this stuff when it came out - I suppose that I was the target audience who always wanted more, even though my weekly allowance didn't "allow" me to even buy one per week (I got 10 cents at the time), so I was at the mercy of my brother and his purchases, which were plenty! In any case...

The first "thing" that stuck me about this series is that I had forgotten that the Human Torch had a "secret identity", even though his sister, Susan Storm, was known to be the Invisible Girl. So, Johnny has to constantly invent ways to go into hiding in order to change his identity. (I seem to think that it was later revealed that everyone knew who he was, but they just played along because it made him feel better. Yes, this is revealed after a few issues.) His powers expanded at this time, as well, so that he was able to control any flame in the area, create fire duplicates of himself, throw fireballs, and more. It's also kinda funny that Johnny basically lives in an asbestos apartment! Different times, for sure!

Other than the Sub-Mariner pictured on the cover, most of the villains in these episodes are pretty much second rate, although some, like the Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete (later to be the Trapster) joined forces as part of the Frightful Four later - and Spider-Man's foe, the Sandman - also a later member of the FF - makes an appearance, as well. There are some more high profile characters, though - I either didn't realize or had forgotten that the Beetle was originally a Torch villain, not a Spider-Man villain and the Torch has a couple of adventures with fellow teenage hero, the Iceman - and at one point Johnny and Ben even meet the Beatles!

As I've said, I love this early Marvel work and it is great fun looking back at it now, with a different perspective. Although the teenagers are often portrayed as stereotypes, I guess the writers were reasonably successful in reaching this target audience considering the popularity of these characters. Certainly, the teenage stereotypes are not nearly as bad as the representation of women in many of these comics! I'll certainly be getting more of these compilations!