Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Superman / Wonder Woman Volume 1 Power Couple


 I know that there have been some variations on this idea over the years, although I have never explored them so, on a whim, I thought I'd give this one a try. I think this just appeared when I did a search on the concept and it was inexpensive, so there ya go - I know that there are others which I may look into later.

Here, the deed has already been done - these two are a couple and there is no real explanation as to how their dynamics changed from friends and cohorts to lovers, but it always has seemed like a logical progression. Diana's ex, Steve, makes an appearance, but there is only a passing mention of Lois Lane, and not in the context of being Supe's girlfriend. 

The story focuses on these two trying to make this new relationship work and learning how to work together as a couple as opposed to team mates. Of course, the challenge here is among the biggest they could possibly face - two Kyptonians, escaped from the Phantom Zone and planning on waging war on the Earth. It goes without saying that the heroes win the war, but at a huge cost, although they seem to come closer together for it all.

Wonder Woman's godly background is discussed as well as her supernatural family and her island home and how these both help and hurt her and Superman. Diana has some issues with Superman's alter ego - she doesn't understand why he wants to pretend to be human. There are some unanswered questions - at least for someone like me who has not been following their stories for decades - but it generally all comes together. 

This is an enjoyable diversion but not anything, shall we say, "super". But I still had fun revisiting these characters in this context.